Skip to main content

Salvation Journey: How to Start

In October 2015, I returned to the Lord Jesus Christ after being in a backslidden state for more than 15 years. Immediately after that, the Holy Spirit laid upon my heart a strong desire to study the Bible. 

I believe the Holy Spirit wants to reinforce to me this verse from 2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV): “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” I then began to feel a calling to write and share my journey.

Doubt and life setbacks have deterred me from starting this blog until now. I said to the Lord, “I haven’t even finished reading the Bible yet. I don’t have a seminary degree.” For the last three years or so, I kept doubting the calling, but now I am at the point where I think the Lord wants me to put what I have learned into action rather than risking stagnation in my spiritual growth. 

James 2:17 (KJV) says: “Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.” Since I am not the type of guy who has the skillset to paint the Church bathroom or weed eat the Church lawn, writing represents the best way I can turn my faith into action. I believe the Lord knows my strengths and weaknesses, and writing is the direction I think he is leading me.

The Mission

“From that moment in which the blessings of the Cross become my own, my life is committed to the publication of the evangel of the Cross to all men.” (G. Campbell Morgan’s Sermon 177 - 1 Corinthians 1:18 - Power by the Cross, The Westminster Pulpit Volume 3: Sermons from the New Testament)

It is my heart’s desire for the reader to uplift the name of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. Jesus came to this earth born of a virgin, so that he could die for our sins on an old tree meant for sinners such as myself.

The Gospel of Matthew Chapter 1:21-23 (KJV) states:

(21) And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. (22) Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, (23) Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

The human race needs Jesus. We are all sinners as stated in Romans 3:9-11 (KJV):

(9) What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin; (10) As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: (11) There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

I thank God for the curiosity of the Pharisee named Nicodemus as outlined in the infamous conversation between him and Jesus in the Gospel of John chapter 3. Out of it has come the most profound yet simple statement of Gospel fact in the entire Bible, in my opinion. I believe it represents the gospel in a nutshell.

I would encourage Christians and non-believers alike to study that conversation in detail. It will provide encouragement to the believer and a way of salvation for the non-believer. I will also write a post further detailing the conversation later; good Lord willing.

For right now, I will highlight the Gospel of John 3:14-18 (KJV). Jesus states that he must be lifted up as the Son of God for our sins to remedied. The goal of every believer should be the glorification of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who takes away the sins of the world:

(14) And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:  (15) That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. (16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (17) For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. (18) He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

There is nothing we can do ourselves to get into heaven. Jesus already did that work for us on the cross. We are sinners who are not worthy to get into heaven based on our own merits. However, out of love and thanks to him we can tell others what Christ has done for us. People who accept the Lord Jesus as their Savior not only inherit eternal life but enter a loving relationship with him. This doesn’t guarantee troubles will end here on Earth, but it does guarantee a better life in heaven.

What This Blog Isn’t/Is

I want to emphasize that this blog IS NOT inspired. It is not intended to be an interpretation of the Bible. It is merely a testimony of a Christian as he reads the Bible. It is imperative that Christians at any stage of growth always prayerfully read the Bible to deepen their relationship with Jesus. Moreover, I believe that prayer and Bible study can be intertwined at times. The Bible details God’s plan of salvation. Jesus is at the center. In my opinion, it is the greatest news the world could ever hear and read.

Utilizing Bible Expositors

Great Bible Expositors, in decades and centuries past, have done the hard work of getting educated in the ways of understanding Bible manuscripts in their original languages and subsequently rendering well informed opinions and interpretations based on that knowledge. My favorites include: H.A. Ironside, Charles Spurgeon, G. Campbell Morgan, J. Vernon McGee and Warren Wiersbe. I will be quoting these individuals periodically in this blog.

Conclusion

My prayer for this blog is that believers can be encouraged to read the Bible and grow closer in their relationships with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I want you to experience the same joy from reading the Bible as I do.
For the non-believer, my prayer is that this blog will introduce you to the saving work of the cross. Jesus is the Son of God. He died for our sins and rose again on the third day. If you believe in him you will be saved. 

Say to God, “I know I am a sinner and that Christ is the Son of God. Will you save me, and forgive me of my sins today? I want you to be my Lord and Savior. Amen.”

Recommended Reading

    • Bible (King James Version) https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org
    • Thru the Bible with J. Vernon McGee: Genesis through Revelation Vol. 1-5 ttb.org
    • The Westminster Pulpit Volume 1: Sermons from the Old Testament by G. Campbell Morgan
    • The Westminster Pulpit Volume 2: Sermons from the Gospel by G. Campbell Morgan
    • The Westminster Pulpit Volume 3: Sermons from the New Testament by G. Campbell Morgan
    • Any Bible Commentary by H.A. Ironside
    • Content from Bible Center Church of Charleston, WV  https://www.biblecenterchurch.com

Disclaimer

This is NOT an inspired document. Always prayerfully read and study your Bible. Always consult with a Pastor or someone you trust who reads, studies and understands the Bible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TWO PATHS – TWO FRUITS - TWO ENDS

“Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.” — Psalm 1:5 (KJV) Overall, Psalm 1 is a Psalm of contrast. It presents a path that ultimately leads to destruction ( Psalm 1:1 ) and a path that ultimately leads to a life where the “ leaf also shall not wither ” (Psalm 1: 2-3). In life, these two paths leads to two different types of fruits. The first (and righteous path) leads to fruit that is acceptable to God that derives from the abundant “ rivers of water ” springing forth from Christ at Calvary ( Psalm 1:3 ). The destructive path yields a fruit of chaff “ which the wind driveth away ” ( Psalm 1:4 ) . The ones who yielded the righteous fruit will have a joyous life everlasting where they belong to God and God belongs to them. In the final outcome, God will take the ones who yielded Chaff and cast them into the fire.  In Psalm 1:5 , once again you have a contrast presented. You have two types of people: the ungodly/sinners a

Mission Statement

To glorify God with Biblical and Christ centered writing. “But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:” ——1 Corinthians 1:30 (KJV)

Primary Goals

1.) The first primary goal is to bring non believers to a saving knowledge of Christ.  “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.” ——Matthew 28:19-20 (KJV) 2.) The second primary goal is to encourage believers to look forward to eternal life and fellowship with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and encourage them to give out the gospel. “Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.” —-I Thessalonians 5:11 (KJV)